Saturday, December 8, 2012

Holiday Art Journal: 1st Day of Hanukkah

Today I learned more about the Festival of Lights. Not only does it commemorate the triumph of the Jewish people over oppressors, but it celebrates a miraculous time when one day's worth of sacred oil burnt for eight days.
If you don't know much about Hanukkah, here is a lovely place to start. Today I invite you to reflect on one of the many parts of the holiday that speaks to you.
Freedom from oppression is a very literal perspective, but I like to think about the miracle of the oil. To me (and I am not Jewish and would never want to be offensive), this Hanukkah is an opportunity to remember to be mindful of how we use energy.
You could also take the time to reflect on a memory of Hanukkah, whether it is your family's tradition, or you learned about it in school, or celebrated with friends.
For today, I journaled directly onto a magazine page, and created a border with washi tape. Don't worry about keeping something messy. On the second page, I journaled on an extra sheet for a quote and my title.  
Pairing different techniques keeps pages interesting. I like to balance different elements: I'll use a lot of washi tape on one page, and just a little on the second page.

Have a lovely Hanukkah, everyone!

♥ Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...