Sunday, October 9, 2011

Creatures of the Night: PT I

Let's talk about bats. They are arriving in Halloween cards, flying around on streamers, and maybe even bringing you candy. The real creatures often get a bad rap, but they are possibly my favorite environmental contributor: they eat bugs!!!
These little flying friends can eat up to 1200 mosquitos in an hour! They also help control other pests like moths, beetles, and leafhoppers, but environmental pressures are threatening their populations. You can help out by putting up a bat house!

Those are cute little nest boxes that you can put up on your house (shown above under my dad's rafter); they are nice and discreet, and super helpful for your eco-system. You can find them for purchase on Amazon--bonus: kids will love putting this up!

To help foster your love of bats, here are a few fun bat crafts:
Bat Tissue-Paper Garland

Hanging Bats
Flying Place Cards

Go forth and give a little bat love, friends!

♥ Shannon

1 comment:

  1. Hi, new follower here stopping by from FTLOB. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a bat house. They live in the tree outside my grandmother's house, but I have never seen/heard them where I live.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...