Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hair-Piece DIY

I did this tutorial for Paper & Sparrow's amazing Alfred Hitchcock Party. If you haven't checked out the party--go ahead and do so now. I'll wait!
Photobucket
This movie legit scared me when I was little--to this day I hit the deck when birds fly by, so I thought it was an appropriate piece! Plus it makes an easy accessory for Halloween! Enjoy!
Photobucket
Here's what you'll need:
--Old fabric straps, cut into strips (1-2 inches wide, 6-8 inches long)
--A barrett or hair clip of some sort
--A used avocado bag (lemons, potatoes, etc also work)
--Floral Stem Wire (I've got 26 gauge--use what you like)
--Birds! (I'm using silly little craft store birds, but you could do paper cut-outs or even sew your own!)
--Also helpful: scissors and a glue gun
Photobucket
Step 1: Make a flower rosette. This is done by wrapping the fabric strip around itself and glueing it down. I kept mine messy, and then wove another color into it. Finished it off by glueing it down on a third strip of fabric.
Photobucket
Step 2: Weave your wire through the rosette, glueing it at the bottom. Use as much wire for as many birds as you have.
Photobucket
Step 3: Glue the rosette to the strip of paper at the bottom of the avocado bag (cut the top of the avocado bag off). Then glue the avocado bag to the barrette. 
Photobucket
Step 4: Place a dab of glue to the bottom of your bird and insert the wire. 
Photobucket
You're done! I paired my with a 60s beehive and cat eye. This baby is a head-turner.
Photobucket
Thank you so much to Andrea for having me--her blog parties are always so fun!! Also, check out her adorable Frankenstein DIY--it's so easy and fun!

♥ Shannon

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I saw this in the blogparty:) Such a great and clear tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tippi Hedren is one of my favorite actresses of all time and the era is extremely fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful. And extremely creative. I am in awe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies. I love the era, too--and it's just fun to dress up a bit! This was my first beehive and I am SO going to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for a useful and knowledgeable information its very nice post and good wort keep it up

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...